Friday, November 27, 2009

Heavy overhead squats

The overhead squat is my weakest CrossFit movement, which is why my heart sunk when I saw today's WOD. From the CrossFit Chronicle website:
You had to know it couldn't last ALL week........so one little day of something HEAVY, and in the grand scheme of things it isn't really heavy at all...if I asked you to back squat 135 lbs or 95 lbs you would think it was a joke it's just the extra challenge of putting that same weight OVERHEAD and squatting with it that makes it difficult....Shoulder STABILITY and FLEXIBILITY along with mid-line STRENGTH thats what the OVERHEAD SQUAT is all about. Keep working on it!!!!
Today's WOD:
  • 10 Overhead Squats 135 lbs/95 lbs
  • 30 Knees to Elbows
  • 8 Overhead squats
  • 24 Knees to Elbows
  • 6 Overhead Squats
  • 18 Knees to Elbows
  • 4 Overhead Squats
  • 12 Knees to Elbows
  • 2 Overhead Squats
  • 6 Knees to Elbows
My overhead squats have been so bad that I decided to hit the re-start button on them. I have the leg strength -- no question -- but it's the overhead element that kills me. I've also been battling a shoulder injury which has set me back.

So, for today, I did not worry about the weight and instead I concentrated on getting my confidence back by focusing on three specific elements: (1) active shoulders, (2) extending my butt back and (3) keeping on my heels from the very get-go.

For this WOD I lifted 85lbs, but seeing as I've even had problems back squatting an empty 45lb bar these days (!!!), it was the perfect weight. At 85lbs I was able to concentrate on all these elements and get full range of motion. My squats were deep and (mostly) back on my heels.

I finished the WOD in 12:00 -- a definite confidence booster. The lifts will only get better and heavier from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment